Cypress Health Region is the first health region in Saskatchewan to have its dashboard of quality of care indicators published on the Health Quality Council's Quality Insight website. In the same way a car's dashboard tells us at a glance if a car is running well, or not, a dashboard of health quality indicators provides an overview of where a health system is performing well and where there is room for improvement. The indicators can prompt health care providers, managers, or leaders to dig a little deeper to understand what may be contributing to the results they're seeing and come up with ways to improve the quality of care they are providing.
Cypress' dashboard currently contains 13 quality of care indicators, some of which were already available and others it developed over the past year with help from the province's Health Quality Council. It is located on Quality Insight, a web-based reporting tool designed to give everyone - the public, providers, managers, and leaders - access to information about how our health system is performing to support quality improvement work to make our system better and safer for Saskatchewan residents.
Beth Adashynski, Executive Director of Quality and Privacy in Cypress Health Region, says Quality Insight was the logical home for their dashboard since it already contains data on many of the quality measures the RHA's board and managers are paying attention to. "This reduces the time and energy our board and staff have to spend finding the data they need to make decisions about how we organize and deliver care," says Adashynski. "Having all of our data together in one spot on Quality Insight also helps us be transparent about the quality of care in our health region."
Cypress' new dashboard currently has the following indicators:
- Percentage of acute care beds occupied by patients approved for a long-term care placement;
- Percentage of residents in the region's long-term care facilities who fell in the last 30 days;
- Falls rate per 1000 long-term care residents;
- Percentage of falls causing injury in long-term care residents;
- Percentage of newly admitted long-term care residents with a Falls Risk Assessment Completed;
- Percentage of long-term care residents who are physically restrained on a daily basis;
- Percentage of surgeries performed where the surgical safety checklist was completed
- Percent of patients who rated their hospital as 10 out of 10;
- Percent of patients reporting they would definitely recommend the hospital to family and friends;
- Patient Experience - Quality of communication with doctors;
- Patient Experience - Quality of communication with nurses;
- Percent of current surgery wait times exceeding 12 months; and,
- Hospital Standardized Mortality Ratio.
More Cypress-specific indicators are being developed - or adapted from indicators used elsewhere - and added to the region's dashboard, as the region continues to identify key priority improvement areas. Data for all indicators on Quality Insight are updated regularly, allowing users to see performance - and any trends - over time. To complement this work, the Health Quality Council and Cypress Health Region are working together to build the capability of regional staff, leaders, and managers in making measurement of quality and the interpretation of data for improvement an integral part of the work they do each day.
"Cypress Health Region has demonstrated the value of Quality Insight in supporting health regions' efforts to improve care," says Dr. Susan Shaw, Chair of the Health Quality Council. "Cypress has led the way in publishing key indicators to this provincial resource so they can monitor the impact of the improvement efforts they are making. Other regions are watching this work in Cypress, and we are already talking to several who want to add their key indicators - dashboards - to Quality Insight."
To see the Cypress dashboard, go to www.qualityinsight.ca and choose "Cypress" from the map or list of health regions near the top, right-hand side of the page.
For more information, contact:
Health Quality Council
370-2543 (cell) / email@example.com
Executive Director Communications
Cypress Health Region
Tel: (306) 778-5117 / firstname.lastname@example.org
Categories: Media Releases
Cypress Health Region , dashboard , Quality Insight , quality of care indicators Tags: